My wife and I love to compete. Sometimes we get into small arguments which end in an hour, but when we keep it fun, it is a blast. I’m going to go ahead and list a few reasons why some healthy competition is good in relationships.
1. We are never bored. Usually we go play tennis, table tennis, jogging, gym, sudoku, etc.
2. With that being said, we are extremely active. When we are not competing on the courts, we are out at the gym trying to see who can burn the most calories.
3. We make friends being active and competitive that like to join in on the fun.
4. It is just a good feeling being the winner or loser and then go out and get drinks after to laugh at each other.
5. We push each other to better ourselves physically and mentally.
6. We get to spend a good amount of quality time together; not all day, but a fair amount.
Overall, my wife and I, as well as other competitive couples, enjoy their time together and have lots of stories. Even for unmarried couples, competition is a great way to get to know each other and push boundaries without overstepping them.
I will however say that too much competition is not good. Constantly bettering your partner leads to a quick trip to the local couples’ counselor. Just be aware of when enough is enough, make sure to compliment your partner when they do something well, and to keep it civil.
Comment with your thoughts!